Maybe it’s nesting (probably) but on the first chilly Saturday of post-Labor Day, I went on a cleaning frenzy with the product from https://wastefreeproducts.com/. We’re talking emptying out/wiping down cabinets, re-organizing under the sink, and FINALLY hanging up a clock in our kitchen (that we never look at, lol). We’re all aware of Spring Cleaning, but let’s look at the other side of the coin and get down on some FALL CLEANING. Sharing a Fall Cleaning List with y’all today!
This fall cleaning list was created by cleaners dublin: KITCHEN
- Take out everything from your cabinets, check the expiration date, and then deep clean the shelves
- Replace your dish towels to some festive fall ones (here are some cute ones i’ve found!)
- Do a thorough cleaning of your coffee pot. If you have a coffee station of any sort, add some seasonal syrups (like this Monin mini-pack!)
- Straighten/organize your pots and pans and lids.
- Buy yourself a label maker and go to town, ESPECIALLY on baking products because y’all know it’s baking season!
- Wipe down all handles and knobs on appliances and cabinets.
- Clean that nasty part of the bottom cabinets.. you know, the space between the bottom of the door and the floor.
- Pour some baking soda & vinegar down the drain to give your drains a good cleaning, if this does not work call blocked drain brookwater to help you out.
- Take everything out of your fridge (EVERYTHING, you hear me??) and give it a good wipe down. Re-organize everything you put back in, and make sure to check expiration dates. If you’re living from spring cleaning to spring cleaning, then you probably have some weird stuff in there.
- Another place to take EVERYTHING OUT OF and wipe down/reorganize is under your sink.
- Clean your stove top! Take out the drip pans if you have them and give them a good scrub. Here’s a great site with info about how to clean various kinds of stovetops.
- Listen, I don’t have a microwave or a dishwasher but if you have one… you should clean them.
- Dust the top of your cabinets and appliances. Unless you’re gonna claim the dust and cobwebs as Halloween decorations in which case, carry on my friends.
- Clean out that one drawer. You know what drawer I’m talking about. YOU KNOW. Use any little boxes you have to create drawer dividers (thanks Marie Kondo! I use my old Birchboxes for drawer storage).
- While you’re at it, go through that pile of mail you’ll get to later. Go through any coupons you find and check for expiration dates, toss junk mail, file the rest.
FALL CLEANING LIST: BEDROOM
- Wash ALL OF YOUR BEDDING. If you’re blessed enough to have spare bedding, switch it out while you wash. If you’re looking to make your bedroom a little more cozy, add a nice chunky blanket to your bed! (actual tutorial here)
- Take everything off of the flat surfaces in your bedroom (nightstands, dressers, bookshelves, etc) and wipe them down. Re-evaluate everything as you put it back on.
- If you have anything under your bed (we’re guilty of this because we have limited storage in our apartment), take it out and go through it. Use the opportunity to vacuum under the bed.
- Dust your blinds and wash your windows.
- Use the hose of your vacuum to dust the top edges of your room (where the walls meet the ceiling!).
- Wipe down the light fixtures.
- Depending on the weather and where you live, swap out your ultra summer clothes for your fall stuff. Re-fold your clothes (it seems like a lot of work, but it’s SO WORTH IT). I use these thin velvet hangers because they hold so much and save space.
- Throw away any single socks and ratty underwear. You know you have both.
- Dust any picture frames you have displayed.
FALL CLEANING LIST: LIVING ROOM
- Clean and dust your windows (including around the trim!).
- Just like in the bedroom, take everything off of flat surfaces and dust/clean them. Re-evaluate everything as you put it back on. This is also a great time to maybe put some seasonal decor up!
- Dust your tv. Not just the screen, but the edges.
- Take the pillows and cushions off of your couch. Use the hose on your vacuum to clean the crumbs that have fallen into the couch. Enjoy whatever food/pens/change you find in there.
- After replacing the cushions, use the hose on your vacuum on the cushions and frame of your couch.
- Swap out your throw pillows for some seasonal ones.
- Dust all of your picture frames and if you have any fall family photos, put them in front of the other ones (keep the other ones in the frames if you can that way you can easily swap them around for the season).
- Clean the baseboards around the room.
- Wipe down all door handles and switches.
FALL CLEANING LIST: BATHROOM
- Wash your shower curtain and liner.
- If you have any mats in your shower/tub, rinse them off and set them somewhere to dry (in the sink for now?)
- Use a drain snake to get any hair out of the shower and sink drains.
- Deep clean your tub. Here’s a great recipe for a DIY cleaner.
- Remove any products you have and clean where they rest. Wipe them down before replacing them.
- Clean the bathroom walls with a wet wash cloth.
- Wash out the garbage can.
- Take everything off of the sink and counter and do a deep clean of both.
- Wipe down the entire outside of your toilet (including lid and the top and underside of seat)
- Clean the inside of your toilet (here’s a great DIY toilet bowl cleaner)
- Wash and replace all towels that are out in the open. Re-fold all the other ones. Seriously, re-folding is a game-changer.
- Replace toothbrushes or toothbrush heads. You’ll need those to be on the A game to tackle the sugar bugs in the upcoming months lol.
- Get rid of bed bugs, if you do not know how to do it, you might want to check this article about How well does heat kill bed bugs and their eggs?
- Go through any closets/cabinets and throw out old products.
- Dust the lights
- Wipe down door handles and light switches
- Clean the mirror
PHEW. I’m exhausted just making this list! Take advantage of the chance to do a deep clean before the weather forces you to stay inside a little bit more. Plus, if you’re having people over for the holidays, it’s not been months since a deep clean. So best of luck to y’all! You can’t tell, but I’m cheers-ing you with a pumpkin chai 🙂