Praise hands for my September goals, y’all. I’ve got some time to kill, and logged into my blog dashboard for the first time in… a very long time. 😀 and then I just stared at the “Add New,” because there’s a lot going on… but I didn’t even know where to start. I opened up my September Goals and realized that I could get some stuff moving with those goals by working on this blog post.
Every so often I get these moments of really being mad at our society. I’ll flip through magazines and go “ad, ad, ad, article, ad, ad, article, ad, ad, ad, ad, ad, half page article about how to be better…” and it hits me that as women we are CONSTANTLY being told we aren’t enough. Weight loss, makeup, clothing, underwear, vacuums, snacks for kids… it turns out there’s always a better option we’ve been foolish to not pursue.
There are pounds to lose, and even if your pounds have been lost, there’s muscle to gain. Always something that makes our lives better than we’ve been settling for.
I often feel like I’m not enough – not enough for my dreams, not enough for the life I desire. I’m not ___ enough or ____ enough – it never ends.
I’m going to jump off the crazy train for a moment and do something that’s not an easy exercise for me. I’m going to make a list of things I like about myself – and make it public. It feels like it would be easier to just jot it down in my journal, but dang it I am going to be vulnerable.
Also, how absurd is it that making a list of things I like about myself feels more vulnerable than a list of things I DON’T like about myself? Messed the heck up.
02. If someone asks my feedback, I give an honest response.
03. I have a deep desire to see my friends win and succeed at everything they do.
04. I am often braver than I think, though it only comes out when it’s desperately needed.
05. Picking up the tab for coffee or lunch or a moment with my friends is a huge joy of mine.
06. I’m willing to put my money where my mouth is when I believe in some one/thing.
07. Admitting when I’m wrong has become a natural part of my relationships with people.
08. I’m not mesmerized by bigger/newer/better.
09. I possess the weird ability and love for treating lice on children.
10. I’m pretty good at finding ways to save and/or earn money and only keep the ones that are easy and breezy.
11. I can binge watch shows on Netflix like nobody else.
12. I’m a confident driver in many different forms of vehicles.
13. I try to say yes unless I have a real, solid reason to say no.
14. I’m pretty good at doing other people’s dishes and laundry.
15. Doing things by myself doesn’t scare me. Unless it’s new stuff, but that’s a different thing.
16. I have a deep well of Madeleine L’Engle words stored in my heart.
17. I can wait for things I want without growing impatient.
18. More often than not I take responsibility for my own actions/decisions and try to make new decisions and take new actions that will yield better results.
19. I know all the words to Legally Blonde the Musical. I really like that about myself.
20. I’ve been doing a really great job of not biting my nails for the past few months.
21. I can spend all day walking around malls and stores and walk out with no purchases. Window shopping fills me up.
22. Wearing the same outfit for 5 days in a row is a gift of mine. If I find something I love wearing, I just want to keep wearing it. So sue me.
23. I like that I have big financial goals for myself and Justen.
24. Food boredom rarely happens to me; I could eat the same 3 meals for a month straight and not be bothered at all.
25. All things considered, I have good intentions for almost everything I do, whether they’re seen that way or not.
Y’all, this was actually so very difficult. I thought, “no problem, 25 things I like about myself will be a cake walk.” It literally took me over a month – this was originally meant to be posted in AUGUST, but it took me that long to come up with 25 things.
So now I’m going to challenge you guys. I dare you to make a list (publicly or privately) of 25 things you like about yourself and then report back and tell me how the experience was. I expected to have some big grand new affection for myself, but mostly I spent time going “REALLY? I can’t think of ANYTHING?” Let me know what the experience is like for you! ;D