Rules for Self Discovery

Desiring Egypt // stephanieorefice.net

You know what will rock your identity?
Moving from one community of people to another in a quick time, especially when the community of people are both your church family and your co-workers on both ends.

This same thing happened, a little differently,  when I left SoCal and moved back to the Northwest. It’s not that I changed or anything, but it was like I was handed a blank canvas with the same paint and given the opportunity to paint something new. Get that? Same paint. The same foundation was there, but I got to make it look different if I wanted.

Two months ago I quietly left the church I was raised in. That denomination has a really strong identity – its own language and yearly events, global community, consistent program names, matching outfits – and then just like that, I stepped away. I moved towards a new group of people who already know and love Justen and started to squirm my way in.

A new canvas for my paint, if you will.

I keep thinking of this thought from the brilliant A. W. Tozer.

Rules for Self Discovery:

1. What we want most

2. What we think about most

3. How we use our money

4. What we do with our leisure time

5. The company we enjoy

6. Who and what we admire

7. What we laugh at

Have any of you ever “started over” in a new community? Has it given you an identity crisis at all or is it just me? ;D

1. November 23, 2016 / 8:36 am

I love your analogy of paint and canvas!

2. November 23, 2016 / 9:22 am

<3<3<3 I was just going to text you yesterday to find out how you're doing! <3

3. Bailey
    November 23, 2016 / 11:15 am

I’m totally in an identity crisis since I got married. Now that I’m not working in HR (or working at all!) anymore I feel so lost!

4. November 24, 2016 / 3:52 am

Not just you! It was like that when I transferred to a different college, when I married into a new family, when we started at a new church, when I started a new job…I totally understand where you’re coming from! Do you still get to talk to the people from the church you grew up in? I feel like that would make transition easier (maybe??)…

5. Emily Grace
    November 28, 2016 / 7:56 am

I definitely feel like I’m moving in that direction. And even knowing that my community might change has already began to rock me. Also, LOVE the picture 🙂

6. November 30, 2016 / 12:57 pm

When I moved here from Nevada I was broken-hearted and beyond devastated. I was surrounded by mostly new people (some I knew from law school, who had moved to the west side after graduation). But it was similar. I had to figure out WHO I was. I didn’t even know until that happened that I didn’t know who I was. There were a lot of growing pains, but I’m much better off for it.