Last week I read this blog on the Storyline Blog that talks about blue mountains; how we on social media are like blue mountains… looking all blue from a distance but being all bumpy and colory up close.
I read it and was like THAT IS BLOGGING! Sometimes even when people are like “I’m not perfect; this is me.” and I’m like.. your messy bun is flawless, your nails are painted so nicely, your husband is still really handsome and oh is that bump on your belly a baby? Cool, my hair is ugly and my sweatpants are old and stained and I bite my nails and I have no husband or baby but I mean you do you.
Especially when blogging is all about branding yourself and making your pictures appealing and blah blah blah it’s SO EASY to feel like we’re the weakest link in this giant blogging community of perfect (or self-proclaimed but ineffectively promoted not perfect people).
And so I’m giving you a list of 20 blog posts I’d love to read… as long as the pictures to go with them are grainy, poorly lit and don’t involve styling.
- The day I sat on my butt in my nasty old pajamas eating oreos and binge watching awful TV
- My grossest habits
- An open letter to the person I’m secretly hoping reads this blog post
- Here’s what my nails actually look like immediately after I paint them
- 10 things I want to get rid of but am too emotionally connected to (and your comments won’t make me discard them)
- What I changed into when I went inside from taking an outfit post
- All the iPhone photos I love but didn’t post on Instagram because they didn’t match the feel of my feed
- Links I feel obligated to link to
- The five blogs I actually enjoy reading (sorry if you’re not on here, I’ll still keep following you)
- What’s in my purse before I threw away the wrappers and added the feminine hygiene products for my sponsored post
- A list of products I actually hated but gave a decent review of because I felt obligated
- Blog series: my biggest insecurities. Post #1: the triangular shape of my nose from the side.
- The 10 most unflattering pictures of me I untagged myself from on Facebook
- Valid reasons to not want to be my friend
- Things I only do because I blog
- One shirt, 5 days: how I managed to wear the same shirt every day this week.
- Oreos will still always taste better than broccoli and here’s why.
- Things I really want but am way too cheap to buy.
- Home tour: I live with my mom edition
- Blogging decisions I regret
If you happen to use these as prompts to write any of these blog posts, please let me know so I can start compiling my list for #8. JK, but seriously.
Let’s all let our hair down once in awhile and be real. Not “blogger real”, where we perfectly style a picture of us staring out a window, pondering the deep things of life but REAL real, where we take the picture of our spouse spitting out the Pinterest recipe we tried or outfits that are so old you can’t actually link to the clothes on the internet.