That time I went to a barre class.

A few months ago I decided to attempt to go to a Firebarre class. It was cardio and barre and I do neither of those regularly and I didn’t make it through the class at all. When I told Kristen about it, she told me I should have just started with a regular barre class because those are challenging enough by themselves.

Then suddenly a few weeks ago, EVERYONE was talking about barre classes. They were all over the blogs I read and on twitter and Facebook and I was like… yeah I want to try a barre class for sure. Out of nowhere, Pure Barre Vancouver started following me on Instagram. As if they could read my mind or something! Then this happened:

Pure Barre Vancouver // stephanieorefice.net

Sooooo I decided that I officially had no reason to not try a barre class. PLUS they even said I could invite a friend. I texted my friend Tiffany and she agreed to go and as it got closer we were kind of uncertain about what to expect and if we’d survive…

After the barre class, Kristen received this lovely text from me:

Pure Barre Vancouver // stephanieorefice.net

All day I felt pretty much like a rockstar. I was like energetic and felt pretty awesome that I made it through to the end.

and then the next day I woke up

and did you know that I suddenly discovered that the barre class had somehow managed to work out muscles in places I didn’t even know I had them?

My rockstar-ness was verrrryyyy quickly transformed into slow, creaky granny. and super brilliant me, I’d planned an early morning hike with my friend Sarah Jane. Which was actually alright, but when I sat down for a minute and stood back up… OH MAN.

OH. AND. In addition to that, I had started getting sick. I sneezed a lot. Did you know that sneezing the day after your first barre class is a really scary, painful thing? I groaned after every sneeze. It was rough.

But guess what?

I get the hype about barre classes. I’m sold. I’m in. The instructor I had, Daron, was so nice. Super encouraging and supportive and helpful. She never made me feel bad for wanting to just lay down and drink an iced mocha (I never vocalized that but that’s how I felt sometimes) and she was so attentive to when I needed help.

Once the pain left my body, I started dreaming about attending another class. I think… I might… become… one of THOSE people. Who regularly take exercise classes. Because man.

That time I took a Barre Class.. // stephanieorefice.net

Anybody want to donate to my “I would like to take more Barre classes” fund? Because it’s freaking EXPENSIVE.

Share:

1. June 18, 2015 / 4:08 pm

I SO agree with you on the feelings during the class! I took one and thought I was going to die in the first 10 minutes. But then I survived and felt awesome. Then the next few days.. it was rough. I haven’t been back yet. Mostly due to the cost, but I think I’d go back again. It was def a good workout!

• June 18, 2015 / 11:35 pm

did you give in to the shake!? i felt like i couldn’t bear being so out of control feeling of my body so when i started to shake i broke the positions so that my body could have a moment haha. and yeah why the heck are they so expensive?!

• June 19, 2015 / 5:53 pm

I was not a fan of the shake! I took several breaks when the instructor looked away – otherwise she’d come over and make me go back to the position lol.

2. June 18, 2015 / 4:13 pm

I haven’t done one, not for lack of curiosity. Mainly the $$$ (and limited scheduling) is what keeps me away! If only workout classes were as free as going to the gym in my apartment complex or going on a run. Le sigh.

• June 18, 2015 / 11:36 pm

you should try a non-pure barre class! like just a regular barre class… i think you can find some that are cheaper. or are you in a class pass area?

• June 19, 2015 / 7:16 am

I am in a class pass area, but isn’t it like $100 a month? I’m sure I could find a range of barre class prices. I could also see if there’s a Groupon or Living Social deal (the only way I’ve done workout classes up here, ha!).

• June 26, 2015 / 2:01 am

i think you can get a free two weeks or something from class pass. i might be mistaken. but if you did that you could try a whole bunch of classes to get an idea of if something is worth investing your time + money in! or you might want to write to a local studio and ask for a free class in exchange for a blog review or something!?

3. June 19, 2015 / 12:27 pm

Glad you loved it!!! I am all about barre! One of the things I love most about it is that even though I teach it 3 times a week (at least) and take classes nearly every day, it’s still a challenging workout and I still have soreness in some part of my body. Yesterday, it was my glutes. Today, its my shoulders. I’m going to take class this evening and will probably leave with a new body part feeling it. So good for you!

• June 26, 2015 / 2:00 am

you’re all about that barre, bout that barre… and have i told you that i straight up admire the crap out of you for TEACHING it? i freaking survived one class (barely) and felt it was worth an ENTIRE BLOG. you TEACH IT. amazing. you’re my hero.